Thursday, March 8, 2012

A grumpy old man??

I do believe I am reaching that age where I become a grumpy old man. I remember as a youngster being able to spot them from a mile away. Always asking questions and getting seriously uptight when given the wrong answers. I always had a soft spot for these people, as more often than not, they were right. It was only when having to deal with them for the umpteenth time, that you figure that, there is just no pleasing them. I always wondered why they chose to be this way and I really did believe it was a choice.

Now I find there is little choice, I walk in and look at something question it, and get the most pathetic illogic drivel excuse in return. Take events around Cape Town. I present quite a few whisky tastings and am in return invited to quite a few events. I do not believe I have in the last four years had 100% RSVP just say no thanks. In fact 60% is more accurate, if, I am prepared to follow up at least 3 times that is. Those that do bother only 70% actually pitch on the day, sometimes it is even worse and more arrive than planned. Of those that do pitch at least 20% will be late and 5% exceptionally late. Alarmingly I have not started one single tasting on time in nearly 6 Years. This may in fact be a global phenomena not restricted to Cape Town, I do not know.

Then there is Dress Code, very few invitations I receive have dress codes lately, surely though when you are invited to a five star venue to share some luxury spirit or drink a minimum of smart casual is required.This year alone I have attended two Black Tie events where check shirts with pencil ties and jeans (no not designer true religion just greasy stone washed type) were worn and allowed in. Other events I have attended where dress codes have not been specified, had shorts and tee shirts worn freely again not designer chinos with high street tees, more your mull around the house or potter about in the garden variety. Ironed you must be joking probably not even clean.

I do believe I am rather level headed guy and well grounded. I have no illusion of grandeur and am seriously not pretentious. I just wonder if it has something to do with respect. I put myself through some really crazy and disrespectful situations in my life, not so much a rebel without a cause, rather a rebel without a clue and as I matured I started respecting myself more and others too. As I try instilling respect in my own children, it becomes blatantly clear that respect is not earned; it is being slowly eradicated all together. You better believe I am grumpy about it.

So what of a solution, I for one, will no longer keep the guests whom have arrived on time waiting for those that are late. I will ensure that all my invites have dress codes and RSVP dates on them. I will not accept any late bookings and will strictly apply the dress code.I will do my utmost to RSVP to all invites, I will do my very best to arrive on time and dressed appropriately and will show respect to you and your views, even if I disagree with them. I will try take deeper breaths and not intereupt your excuses. It must be said that the worlds very best excuse, still remains one thing and one thing only, an excuse.

No comments: