Friday, July 20, 2007

To Blog or not to Blog

This is I guess the easiest way to communicate with the electronic masses. I have avoided blogging in the past simply because I did not want anyone to think that I in anyway consider myself a writer.
Well I will test the waters as they say and see what happens.
This will be where I comment on my whisky tasting events and the odd review on whisky too.
So if ya like ya whisky than grabba glass and lets get dramming.

I must mention the Knysna Oyster festival last week was a blast I attended the mini whisky and Jazz festival they hosted at Zest on the Saturday night. My nose was slightly out of joint as I had tried unsuccessfully to get my products on the show as well.
At least they made up by allowing me in to sample the nights drams.
Present were the usual suspects Neil Hendrikz of Famous Grouse and his RGBC crew. My old and good friend and still a firm favourite Jack Hetherington.
Jonathan Miles was the surprise not that he was there but rather that he was punting Chivas and The Glenlivet. Brandhouse had there malts on display I would mention the Dear Knowlegeable Lady on the stand , however since she was a bit cold and not exactly forthcoming with her name I cannot. Rob Sweeney and everyone else from Glenfiddich were there as well.
Now I know this may come as a surprise to those of you that read the Article in the Cape Argus because the way they wrote the article the only person present was Jason but believe it or not there were others too.

Now onto those Drams I started with a firm favourite Highland Park which hit the spot nicely, the wife followed suite surprising me (not a malt person usually). As I said I was a bit stormy so had to drink accordingly I got the wife a Glenmorangie 10 next she approved, I went straight to Ardbeg nothing copes better with a bit of volatility then the memory of this distillery setting on the rugged coast of Islay. I then gave the wife her favourite dram for the night a Glenlivet 12.
I moved over to the brandhouse table hoping to get a glimpse of the Talisker 18 , I had featured it in my last 2 tastings in Cape Town as the demand for it since being voted the best Single Malt in the world by whisky magazine has been huge.
Anyway the lovely lady told me that it was at her Bar at home so as not to be wasted on plebs like myself , I hope it really is at her Bar and that she does try it so that she may finally have a good spirit flowing through her again. I find it sad when people discover the joys of malt and want to guard it rather than share it. I managed to finally get a Talisker 10 out of her and in time too as the the evening ended shortly thereafter with a charity draw which was for a really good cause. This of course prompted the wife to dig deep, bless her sole always giving where kids are involved. So the stormy mood had been settled and cheerfully we set off to find some dinner.

HMMMM Harry B's no food left can you adam and eve it out of stock?? okay Sirocco in Thesen Island eee sorry Kitchen closed 10.15 pm???? Lush same story , Oyster catcher same again, JJ's and pretty much everyone else so Spur it was no whisky here to quieten the Storm.

Maybe next Year.

No comments: