Sunday, November 4, 2007

Whisky Live Cape Town

Well incredibly this years festival is over for Cape Town anyway we have Johannesburg starting on Wednesday. Thankfully Jack Daniels left their Harley at home so I still have a voice.
Thank you to all of you that came to say hello and all of the new folk I met it was great to meet you.

They were here once more in bright blazing technicolour, the Brands we all know Johhnie Walker, J&B, Bells, Jack Daniels, Glenfiddich with lounges, extended areas and all the marketing Rand thrown to create that space in our minds as first associated with whisky.
This year there had an underlying intelligence from the smaller stands, the back to basics area succeeded in achieving exactly that showing that knowledge allows for more discerning tastes and less gimmicks.

Ryan O'Conner was a great MC the music was vibrant and fitting all in all it was Wow. The calibre of people attending was so special, I must say though I still dread the Friday night, it seems as though this year was no different.
The lady who sold the extra coupons was rushed off her feet by 7.30 she had sold more tickets than she had sold the entire Wednesday and Thursday combined. It amazes me how many people bought extra coupons before they even started tasting so it would appear they were there for a reason, and polite conversation was not high up on their lists.

The crazy rush and vibe though allows the night to zip past and before you know it the vultures arrive waving their glasses as they slurr as honestly as they can," ag jist ooonnnnne mooore pleeeshhh." Now I would love to say that its my high standard when it comes to promoting responsible drinking that allows me to instantly reject and possibility of giving them even a sniff of what's before me. The truth is how on earth could I live with myself knowing that I poured a 32 Year old Glen Scotia for someone who had lost all sense of feeling a least 30 minutes ago.

No No its not going to happen I will not allow the Friday binging to spoil what is an otherwise very good production and certainly a world leader in its field , Whisky Live is here to stay and Cape Town and Johannesburg will continue to be the biggest and brightest.

No comments: